Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Great Escape

I suppose it's time to get back to this baseball blog. Blogging, and even baseball, hasn't been of the highest priority this past week. My aunt died this past week, my father-in-law entered the hospital and is in serious condition and then there is the tragedy of the bridge collapse--all these have contributed to baseball being put on the back burner. It is a game after all.

Prior to the bridge collapse, much hoopla was going on in the Twins baseball world in regards to trades...Castillo was traded and no one, at least no one ready to help this season, was acquired before the trade deadline. Santana, along with other players, were perhaps, rightfully, upset. It hasn't gotten any better in the past few days...Cirillo was picked up off waivers by the Diamondbacks. I'm not sure how big a loss that is, but it does seem to indicate that Terry Ryan is more focused on downsizing the payroll than bringing on board some new bats.

I'll admit there have been times in recent days that I've been frustrated. I think the Twins are contenders this year. I think the current players need to stay focused and play their best ball. It may not be a perfect world, but hey, they are playing major league ball. How bad can that be?

And Pohlad needs to quit worrying about his pocketbook and open up the pursestrings so Terry Ryan can actually do something to help this team get stronger.

So, this week I hope to get back to enjoying baseball...perhaps with the perspective that the world won't end if we drop a game...much worse things can happen.

But oh the joy to be found in the game...because finding bliss in 9 innings of baseball have made this game the great escape...and I'm quite sure we all could use a little of that right now.

No comments: