Thursday, May 29, 2008

Going for the sweep...

The past two nights have made for interesting Twins baseball. Tuesday Blackburn pitched an excellent ballgame, only to see the lead slip away in the 9th. Blackburn's pitching has been far better than his record indicates. In the end, more specifically in the 12th inning, we pulled out a win. And that is what really matters.

Last night I have to admit to half-heartedly watching the game while putzing around & working on the computer. I was paying attention to the game, but there wasn't alot to pay attention to...that is until the the 9th inning. Down 8-3 in the 9th, I had no illusions of the Twins even coming close to tying the game, let alone winning it. But hit by hit, runners got on base and a few even crossed homeplate. And then with 2 outs and 2 on, Monroe came up to the plate--representing the tying run. It still seemed like a long shot at best, but my attention was now glued to the tv nonetheless.

And then the unthinkable happened--Monroe hit a 3-run homer--breaking his hitting slump. And with that, the impossible seemed possible--again. And true enough, Morneau came up as the first batter in the 10th and on the first pitch hit one out of the park.

That's all it took. As uplifting as these past 2 wins have been for the Twins and our fans, these 2 losses have been even more disappointing for the Royals. They have now lost 10 in a row. I sort of feel bad for Royal fans--I've been to Kauffman Stadium and the fans there are very kind to visitors. I want the Royals to win.

Right after we leave town.

I want the Twins to sweep the Royals tonight. Going into the 6th inning, the Twins lead 5-0, but after the last 2 nights I know better than to count this as a win until the final pitch is thrown.

And following this sweep, I hope the Twins come home to sweep the last-place Yankees (I love saying that "last-place Yankees").

And then the Royals can win a few games.

No comments: