Saturday, November 10, 2007

Hunter's fate

2000 Hunter card


1993 Hunter card


2004 Hunter card


First off, I pulled these cards from Curveball's Twins baseball card collection, which you can all take a gander at if you click on the top favorite baseball link to the right (Twins cards--Curveball's collection...). It's really an amazing site that has not only Curveball's massive collection available for your perusal, but another collection as well. It's also quite impressive what you can do there...search for a particular player, build a dream team, look up player stats...C'mon it's the offseason...what else do you got to do? And since it's the offseason, I have the time to feature some of these cards here on this blog...along with my baseball ramblings.

My lack of writing here does not truly indicate a lack of interest or focus on the baseball world. Yes, there are no current games to be watched (thank you Lipgloss for tipping me off to the fact that FSN North is now carrying classic games from 2007), much is still happening in the baseball world. It's that quiet, somewhat behind the scenes stuff that makes me nervous.

Like, what will be Hunter's 2008 fate be? Will he be in a Twins uniform? Lord, I hate thinking about it. Hunter, along with Silva, filed for free agency as soon as that was an option. No big surprise there. And it will probably be no big surprise when it is announced that he will be playing for some other team. I don't like it, but I fear it will be so. I don't like it and I think it's bad for the Twins. Hunter is still in his prime (he won his 7th consecutive gold glove this week). He's a fan favorite and a leader in the clubhouse. Hey, whatever happened to the Twins organization promotion for the new stadium that claimed all our favorite players--Hunter, Mauer, Morneau, and Santana to name a few--will be there in 2010 when the new stadium opens? I don't think so. And I think the Twins organization is taking the Twins fan support for granted. This "build a stadium and they (fans) will come" mentality is outrageous. Yes, I'm a loyal fan and I will be there, win or lose...but I would rather be winning...and I betcha there are whole lot of fans who feel likewise. And when my favorite players are traded off with seemingly no concern for winning a title, but saving a few bucks, then I'm a little pissed.

You don't even want to get me going on all the talk about Santana being on the trading block (really, my blood pressure rises more than a few points).

So I am watching and waiting to hear, with a fearful heart, what will be happening with the free agent market this offseason. I am sure there will be twists and turns.

I'm hoping to see a 2008 Hunter Twins baseball card.

No comments: